Last Update: 17 July 2016

MOBA © 2009

Training Ship Mercury in Pictures

Mercury Memorial Plinth


Unlike the seat (which is under the care of Hamble Parish Council) the Mercury Memorial Plinth is maintained by the Mercury Old Boys’ Association which is funded by members’ subscriptions and occasional donations. It was erected in 1985.
Into The Sunset

Below are shown two of the plaques on the faces of the plinth. The left hand plaque shows the years TS Mercury existed and the motto ‘Men Are The Souls Of Ships’ which also appears on HMS Gannet. The right hand plaque has a poem written by Beatrice Fry in 1918, fifty years before the school closed. Probably she could not have written more appropriate words had she been writing them in 1968 (click to read).